Skip to content
- Carbohydrates are the single most important food for long-term health and brain function.
- This may be a shocking statement given the low-carb movement and “carbophobia” in America, but it is true.
- Of course, we don’t mean the overprocessed, refined, sugary white food we commonly think of as carbohydrates, such as doughnuts, white bread, bagels, muffins, colas, juices, and most junk food.
- We don’t mean the cheap, supersweet, government-subsidized high-fructose corn syrup that is driving our epidemic of obesity and disease and contributing to our epidemic of mental illness.
- The carbohydrates are the real, whole, nourishing plant foods that the human species has thrived on since the dawn of evolution.
- Most of the foods consumed by humans over the years have been carbohydrates.
- Plant foods are composed mostly of carbohydrates: vegetables, fruits, beans, whole grains, nuts, seeds, herbs, and spices.